Buy Firethorn Bushes at Nature Hills Nursery
Technically known as the Pyracantha, the Firethorn bush is a tough, showy workhorse. You’ll find a fine collection of pyracantha for sale online right here at Nature Hills Nursery.
Common names for the firethorn bush include the hawthorn berry tree and Jerusalem thorn tree. There are many reasons our customers fall in love with this lively shrub:
- Works as a barrier plant
- Attracts birds for its food and shelter
- Makes an excellent privacy screen
- Is drought resistant
- Is deer resistant
- Is a fuss-free problem solver
Support birds but keep out unwanted views and intruders with a large-scale Pyracantha bush. Firethorn bush is a popular thorny, evergreen privacy shrub that produces white flowers and berries.
Most people seek out thorn trees for sale to help protect their property. The stinger-like thorns serve as an effective deterrent. The firethorn bush can be:
- Sheared into a formal hedge
- Grown informally along your property line
- Espaliered against a wall or fence
Both container-grown and bare root Pyracantha are available at Nature Hills Nursery throughout the year.
Use the berries for seasonal winter decoration. You'll also see quail and other birds feasting on these durable bushes with orange berries.
Some cultivars feature red or yellow berries, too. Popular Firethorn shrubs include:
- Red Cushion Firethorn (Pyracantha coccinea 'Red Cushion') is low-growing and works well under windows
- Kasan Scarlet Firethorn (Pyracantha coccinea 'Kasan') spreads wide with red-orange berries for birds
- Mohave Firethorn (Pyracantha Mohave) was developed by the U.S. National Arboretum and features an extra-tall habit and red-orange berries
- Formosa Firethorn (Pyracantha koidzumii) is upright with orange-red berries and glossy foliage
- Teton Thorn (Pyracantha 'Teton') features yellow-orange berries and an upright growth habit
Reserve your Firethorn plants from us when you see them in stock. We sell out quickly. Nature Hills Nursery growers will provide expert care for the plants you selected, and then ship them to you when the weather is right for planting in your area.
Pyracantha/Firethorn Bush FAQ
Does Firethorn grow quickly?
Growth speed depends on the variety. Mohave Firethorn is a cultivar with a fast growth rate. But dwarf Red Cushion Firethorn stays petite with a slow growth rate.
Check the product pages of individual Firethorn bushes for more details on growth rate. Filter the results by the growth rate, height, spread and sun exposure for an easy shopping experience.
Are Firethorn berries poisonous?
No, although they don't taste very good. Birds appreciate the bitter-tasting berries, and they can be cooked into an edible jelly.
Pyracantha berries are ornamental and bright and make for wonderful floral displays and Christmas decorations.
Care and Planting Tips for Firethorn Shrubs
The heat-loving Firethorn shrub prefers soils with good drainage. Choose your planting site with care, so you won't have to transplant them.
Pyracantha bushes flower on last year's wood. Wait to prune them after the white spring flowers are past to maintain a berry display.
Feel free to reach out with additional questions; we’re always happy to help. Family-owned and operated since 2001, Nature Hills Nursery strives to offer the highest-quality plants with exceptional customer service. Read our customer reviews to see what we mean. Check out our selection of pyracantha for sale online, and place your order today.