Fast growing, flowering tree of tropical characteristics
that is anything but common.
In China some believe that the Mimosa (Albizia julibrissin) will calm the mind and spirit. Step out to your yard, relax and this unique and appealing deciduous tree will confirm that.
Often grown as an ornamental for its unique and beautiful features, the Mimosa generally grows 20-25 feet in height. Also called a Silk Tree or Persian Silk Tree, it will provide you with a rounded, expansive crown for shade within only 3-5 years.
Its one-of-a-kind leaf structure and year-round floral display ensure that your Mimosa will be a valued aspect of your landscape in any season.
It’s difficult to know what part of this tree is most appealing. The leaves are unique, consisting of long, fern-like strands of 20-30 pairs of oblong leaflets.
At night, or when it rains, your Mimosa will put on a miraculous demonstration that lives up to its Persian name Shabkhosb (meaning “night sleeper”), as they bow gracefully downward.
Your Mimosa’s flowers will further delight the senses all summer long as the 2-inch pom-pom-like clusters of silken threads seem to float among the leaves.
Hummingbirds and butterflies are irresistibly drawn to their succulent scent. Some people think they smell like nutmeg. The flat, brown seed pods that later form will further provide food for wildlife.
The Mimosa is a fast-growing, unique and beautiful landscape tree that will grow in almost any conditions.
You can’t go wrong with the Mimosa Tree for with its fast-growing nature and year-round appeal.
*Hardy for most soil types
Tropical Review by True Blue
I have recently built a home with 7 Mimosa trees in the backyard. I originally grew up on the coast and this tree is a real tropical beauty. The shade and mood these trees have are wonderful.
Trimming Review by Arch
What is the best to trim Mimosa trees ? The one in my front lawn needs cut back and I want ot make I do it the right month ,
<p><strong><font size=1>Answer from Nature Hills:</strong> There is no rule when trimming this tree. We like to do the major trimming when the tree is dormant. A nice winter day job.</p></font><br>
I love it Review by Clyde
I want to make my lot to look like that you are in Florida
Roots and septic tank? Review by konagirl
I absolutely love our Mimosa tree in our backyard but my husband was told to cut it down since it was less than 30 feet from our septic tank (we have a well). I REALLY want to keep this beauty so if anyone has any info on whether or not the roots will invade the septic tank or pipes that would be wonderful! I have never seen so many butterflies or hummingbirds at one tree before.....mesmerizing!!
<p><strong><font size=1>Answer from Nature Hills:</strong> Here is some information from our FAQ page about tree roots. The 30 feet from the septic tank may be too close. Generally, how deep and wide do tree roots grow?
90% of tree roots are located in the top two feet of the soil. The other 10% of the root system can go much deeper, 12 feet and more. Tree roots need oxygen to provide nourishment to the tree. There is more oxygen in the top two feet, so that is where the majority of the roots can be found.
Deep rooting depends on the species, the soil, and the availability of moisture. Very heavy and hard clay discourages deep root growth. Sandy or loamy soil allows for deeper root penetration. Heavy lawn watering encourages more surface rooting. Tree roots extend beyond the drip line of the tree canopy. As a general rule, the farther away the tree roots are from the tree, the smaller the roots are in circumference.
Will tree roots get into my sewer lines, water lines, swimming pool, or my septic tank leech fields?
The answer is yes if there is a leak and the leak is in the proximity of tree roots. Tree roots seek water. If a water source is available because of a leak, or an opening in a leech field line and there are tree roots in the area, they will quickly invade the area and take advantage of the available moisture. </p></font><br>
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Review by gogs
i have a couple mimosa trees in my front yard. its a beautiful tree,i love the look if it. i really want more, but some are too small for them to reproduce.