The Elderberry bush or shrub is native to the United States and they are grown throughout the country. There are approximately 20 to 30 species of elderberries in the genus Sambucus. Elderberries have been grown for the bluish-black fruits. The fruits are used in wines, juices, jellies and jams. The elderberry is also grown for its ornamental value in the landscape. Elderberry varieties have colorful leaves and unique shapes to beautify the landscape. Elderberry bushes can tolerate different soil conditions but they do not tolerate drought conditions. Plant the elderberry bush in well drained, loamy soil.
Elderberry bushes are pest resistant and they grow quickly to make a good privacy screen. Start pruning elderberry bushes when they are 3 to 4 years old. Cut them back if the plant gets to be too large for the location. Remove dead canes and cut 1 or 2 overly thick canes each year during the winter. Remove canes that are older than 3 years. This will encourage new growth and more fruitful canes. We offer several varieties of elderberries and they are listed below.
Nature Hills sells a variety of plants and products, with many available in different types and sizes:
Select (bare root) Trees - Hand-selected quality bare root trees. The height of the tree you will receive will be displayed under the icon. Popular sizes of Select Trees are 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, etc.
Select (bare root) Plants - Hand selected-quality bare root plants.The height of the plant you will receive will be displayed under the icon. Popular sizes of Select Plants are 1 foot, 18 inches, etc.
Select (bare root) Small Fruits - Hand-selected quality small fruit plants. The height and # of plants in the pack you will receive is displayed above and below the image. (Ex: 3-pack of 1 foot plants).
Note on No. 1 Select sizes: You may see No. 1 used as the size of Select Tree/Plant. A "Number 1" grade plant is the highest-grade bare root plant available.
Potted Plants & Trees - Quality plants and trees with developed root systems will have this icon. Typical sizes of our potted plants and trees are as follows:
• #1 Container - Ranges from 2.26-3.73 quarts or 2.49-4.11 liters
• #2 Container - Equal to 1.19-1.76 gallons or 5.246-7.770 liters
• #3 Container - Equal to 2.32-2.76 gallons or 10.285-12.164 liters
• #5 Container - Equal to 2.92-4.62 gallons or 12.86-20.36 liters
• 5.5" pot is 5 1/2" x 5" x 5" which is equal to 1.89 of a quart or 1.78 liters
• 4.5" pot is 4.5" round x 4" deep and equal to 1.31 pints or 619.8 milliliters
• 4" and 3.5" pots may measure 4"x 4"x3 1/2" which is equal to .87 of a quart or .82 of a liter in volume or 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" which is equal to .67 of a quart or .63 of a liter in volume.
Plant and Flower Bulbs - Quality bulbs, roots and tubers. The number of bulbs included in the pack is displayed below the bulbs images.
Seed Packets - Our seed packets will contain this icon.
Other product types will simply list what type of product it is (bags of seed, trays of plugs and garden center items etc.).