The Barberry is a hardy garden shrub. Barberry is also known as berberis or Pepperidge bush. Barberries are well known for their thorny, wiry branches. Nature Hills markets the deciduous barberry shrub. Barberry was introduced to the United States in the 1800’s as an ornamental and it still is a popular landscape plant. There are some new varieties that are relatively thorn less and some with colorful leaves that create interest. Barberry tolerates a wide variety of growing conditions. Barberry tolerates pollution, shade and drought.
Barberry is commonly used in hedges. The sharp thorns create a natural barrier or living fence. Barberries are used for massing, shrub borders and as foundation plants. Barberry flowers in the spring and the fruits mature in the fall and many fruits will persist through the winter. The seeds are eaten by small mammals and birds. Barberries transplant easily and withstand pruning well. Prune immediately after flowering or in late winter for best results.
Nature Hills sells a variety of plants and products, with many available in different types and sizes:
Select (bare root) Trees - Hand-selected quality bare root trees. The height of the tree you will receive will be displayed under the icon. Popular sizes of Select Trees are 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, etc.
Select (bare root) Plants - Hand selected-quality bare root plants.The height of the plant you will receive will be displayed under the icon. Popular sizes of Select Plants are 1 foot, 18 inches, etc.
Select (bare root) Small Fruits - Hand-selected quality small fruit plants. The height and # of plants in the pack you will receive is displayed above and below the image. (Ex: 3-pack of 1 foot plants).
Note on No. 1 Select sizes: You may see No. 1 used as the size of Select Tree/Plant. A "Number 1" grade plant is the highest-grade bare root plant available.
Potted Plants & Trees - Quality plants and trees with developed root systems will have this icon. Typical sizes of our potted plants and trees are as follows:
• #1 Container - Ranges from 2.26-3.73 quarts or 2.49-4.11 liters
• #2 Container - Equal to 1.19-1.76 gallons or 5.246-7.770 liters
• #3 Container - Equal to 2.32-2.76 gallons or 10.285-12.164 liters
• #5 Container - Equal to 2.92-4.62 gallons or 12.86-20.36 liters
• 5.5" pot is 5 1/2" x 5" x 5" which is equal to 1.89 of a quart or 1.78 liters
• 4.5" pot is 4.5" round x 4" deep and equal to 1.31 pints or 619.8 milliliters
• 4" and 3.5" pots may measure 4"x 4"x3 1/2" which is equal to .87 of a quart or .82 of a liter in volume or 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" which is equal to .67 of a quart or .63 of a liter in volume.
Plant and Flower Bulbs - Quality bulbs, roots and tubers. The number of bulbs included in the pack is displayed below the bulbs images.
Seed Packets - Our seed packets will contain this icon.
Other product types will simply list what type of product it is (bags of seed, trays of plugs and garden center items etc.).